Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Don't cry over spilled milk..."

But seriously. I'm thinking that whoever came up with the saying "Don't cry over spilled milk" probably lived in a time where you got your milk from a cow out back and you could just go "squeeze" a "gallon" whenever your little heart desired. I don't actually know all the ins and outs of milking a cow, but I guess I am just trying to justify actually crying over spilled milk this afternoon. Today I ventured out to Sparkle in Grafton to get milk which is on sale 2/$5 (anyone remember the good old days when milk would be on sale for $1.98?) because we have been milkless for like a week over here. I just cannot bring myself to pay $3.79 for a gallon of milk. Anyway, so Ev & I ventured out on this cold rainy day to go to the store. To which I wore flip flops and a coat without a hood. Mistake #1. We got in, got the milk, got out. I decided to put the milk behind the drivers seat kind of stuck under the seat so it wouldn't slide all over the place on the way home. Mistake #2.. APPARENTLY, as I was hastily loading it in the van (as I'm standing, flip-flopped, in a huge puddle) one of the gallons scraped against a pokey sharp thing under my seat. I of course, didn't notice it until I got home and as I'm bringing them in, I have a trail of white from the van to my house...and all down my pants and onto my now sticky bare feet. And then I cried. So basically I am a wet, frizzie-haired, milky, tear stained mess.Long story short and a roll of duct tape later: this is a current picture of my refrigerator. The FDA would have a field day.


Now, you must be asking why I tell you all this..because I just asked myself the same thing. Then I remembered. After I jerry-rigged my milk jug, I started thinking and evaluating why exactly I got so upset about the milk. I am not necessarily saying its wrong to get emotional (okay OVERLY-emotional) about something petty like milk, but God actually used this silly instance to teach me something. God has been teaching me a lot about the focus of my heart, lately.

Starting in Sunday school last week... we talked about Mary (Martha's sister) sitting at Jesus' feet when he visited their home, and in another instance pouring out costly oil on Jesus and wiping His feet with her hair. What beautiful scenes. In my devos a few days ago, God revealed to me a distracted heart. Kind of like Martha in the scene from the end of Luke 10. In the past few weeks the most focused, uninterrupted, intentional times have been spent focusing on something other than Jesus. Whether it's spending time with my family, getting things done around the house, or whatever it is- it hasn't been Jesus. I realized this that day in devotions when I sat down and started in prayer and my mind kept wandering a billion different directions, and it felt foreign to actually totally focus on God and really fellowship with Him. God used that to smack me in the face (lovingly, of course) and humble me. I was reminded of this today after getting so worked up about something so trivial compared to what is truly important in this life: A relationship with my Heavenly Father and allowing His grace to work in me and use me-- for HIS glory! It is so refreshing to spend set aside time focused on our Loving Father, casting our cares upon Him, and just worshiping Him with our lives. Only through abiding in unhindered fellowship with Him can we respond in a way pleasing to Him in all of life's situations. In the big things, yes, but even in the little things like leaky milk. :)

Hope this is an encouragement and reminder to you to keep an eternal perspective, and also to set aside time each day coming boldly before the throne of grace!

"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

"...casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." 
1 Peter 5:7


2 comments:

  1. You went out in the rain with FLIP FLOPS and NO HOOD?? Grandma Webber would definitely scold you! :-) (I went out in the rain yesterday without a hood too, not a good idea for long hair!)

    Thanks for the reminder too about keeping focus...I get distracted so easily! With a right perspective and heart attitude, we can choose to respond like Jesus in the small trials and inconveniences in life. Thanks for sharing, Jode!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, learning lessons from the little things...although, we think they are big things at the time they are happening! Motherhood sometimes feels like a complete distracted-from-God heart, because these precious little people need so much all day long. Definitely important to group with God daily!

    I have that same pitcher! :-) Just bought it yesterday...have had two in the past couple months just totally leak on me and had to throw away.

    ReplyDelete